Sunday, March 31, 2013

{Preschool Friendly} Christ Centered Easter Activities

We have always talked with Mr. P about the reason behind our Christian holidays even before we knew he would really understand.  We feel that if he continues to hear it he will continue to grow in his understanding.  While egg hunts and bunnies are fun and candy is yummy, I want the first thing he thinks about when someone mentions Easter is Jesus.  Here are some preschooler friendly ways I did that this year.
 
We started the Lenten Season reading this book:
 
We have read it MANY times, mostly by Mr. P's choice, so I know it is a good book.(Wink, wink)  This year I notice he was able to retell parts of the story and make connections between what we are doing during the Lenten Season and what was in the book.  YEAH!! 
 
RESURRECTION ROLLS:
 
This one I have seen pinned all over and posted about in several blogs.  It's simple, cheap, and quick, but provides for an excellent object lesson on Jesus' Resurrection.  Mr. P even referenced back to the book we have been reading about Easter and was able to answer several of my questions.
 
Want To Make Your Own??

 
SUPPLIES:
Marshmallows
Crescent Rolls
Cinnamon and Sugar Mixture
Melted Butter (about 1/2 a stick)


The marshmallow represents Jesus' body.  Dip the marshmallow in the butter (oils) and talk about how they prepared Jesus' body with oils.


Next dip the marshmallow in the cinnamon and sugar (spices).  Talk about how they covered Jesus' body in spices to prepare it for burial.


Place the marshmallow on the crescent roll and wrap it up.  Talk about how Jesus' body was wrapped in cloth to prepare for burial. Make sure you wrap them up really good with no openings.



 

 

 


Finally, put the rolls in the oven and cook as directed on the
package.  This represents placing Jesus' body in the tomb.  You can talk about how long Jesus' body was in the tomb and who discovered his body was no longer there etc. while they are cooking (takes about 10-12 minutes).

 
When they come out of the oven (tomb), the marshmallow has melted and "Jesus has risen!"  Of course my 3 year old asked me about half way through the cooking time if it was time to eat Jesus yet.  LOL!  However, we have done this activity for 2 years now and I think it started to click with him this year.

 
After we made the Resurrection Rolls we worked together to make this wreath which tells the whole story from Palm Sunday to Pentecost.  I took it as a chance to talk some more about the reason we celebrate Jesus and to share a few brief pieces of scripture with Mr. P.  (Don't you just love the coloring job?  He told me "I only like to scribble mommy!"  HA!  and I could not talk him into using any more colors.) 
I got the templates for this project over at Wee Little Miracles.
 
 
I hope you and your family had a blessed Easter.  I know I am abundantly blessed!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment